- Under the guidance of the MSL Lead or Country Medical Lead (CML), the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) drives the implementation of the Country medical affairs plans related primarily to KOL engagement and data dissemination.
- In a compliant manner, the MSL systematically identifies the needs of KOLs, investigators and other stakeholders in patient care, establishes strong professional relationships, provides credible scientific expertise and serves as a link to Takeda Global Medical, Global Clinical and external partners.
- The MSL serves as a field-based extension of the country Therapeutic Area team.
- Externally focused, Health Care Professional (HCP) related activities are expected to comprise at least 80%of MSL responsibilities.
- The MSL maintains personal expertise in relevant disease areas and MSL best practices that can be applied externally and internally.
- PA (preferred location)
- NC (preferred location)
KOL Engagement :
- Through compliant scientific exchange, builds and maintains professional relationships with external stakeholders to expand Takeda's research, advisory and educational partnership opportunities
- Ensure high standard of professionalism to develop and maintain peer-to-peer scientific relationships with key thought leaders in healthcare, academia, payer, and government organizations per strategic territory plans and as requested by KOLs, including the management of strategic scientific partnerships and scientific exchange
- Provide scientific liaison support to Investigators currently involved in the Takeda's Company sponsored interventional or observational studies and investigator initiated research
- Serve as a liaison between healthcare practitioners (HCPs) and Takeda medical affairs
- Facilitate 1:1 and group scientific interactions with healthcare professionals
- Participate in KOL engagement planning
- Maintain KOL plans and update medical customer relationship management system in a timely, accurate, and compliant manner
- Contribute to effective and compliant data dissemination according to country medical affairs plan.
- Ensure appropriate scientific exchange with HCPs by fostering fair and balanced medical and scientific communications that are not misleading
- Present clinical and disease state information to a variety of audiences (KOLs, HCPs, hospital/decision making teams, etc.) upon requests and/or according to country medical plans
- Support data dissemination at congresses in according to plans
- May be involved in responding, within defined timelines and quality standards, to unsolicited inquiries from HCPs and other stakeholders received by Global Medical Affairs and referred to GMA by other Takeda functions; forwards reports of adverse events according to Takeda's policy
- Conduct therapeutic training for Sales and Medical colleagues upon request (less than 10% of all MSL activities)
- Other as directed by manager
Medical leadership and strategic planning
- Communicate key medical insights from KOLs/HCPs to inform refinement of medical strategies or tactics
- Provide scientific input and participate in local medical and cross-functional initiatives
- Provide field-based medical support to Takeda's clinical research programs, registries, and facilitation of the investigator initiated research process
- Participates on internal project teams as directed by Manager
Knowledge, expertise and insights management
- Maintain awareness of and access to internal and external information sources available to support high-quality scientific exchange with HCP
- Develop/increase knowledge of medical literature and critical appraisal of scientific publications
- Maintain knowledge base and scientific expertise on all assigned Takeda disease areas and products
- Maintaining personal expertise in MSL best practices.
- Develop and update knowledge of applicable pharmaceutical guidelines and regulations. Code of Ethical Practices and company policies
- Gain customer insights, opinions and feedback and share internally
Education and Experience Requirements:
- An advanced degree in life sciences (MD, PharmD or PhD or equivalent) is required
- Has an established track record of effective and influential oral presentations within the healthcare profession
- Require minimum 2 years of experience as a field MSL
- Demonstrative therapeutic experience/research or substantive patient care experience is required (2 years minimum)
- Medical, clinical or research experience in the assigned disease area is preferred
- Demonstration of expertise in key skills, capabilities and competencies
Key Skills, Capabilities, and Competencies:
- Establish credible and long-lasting professional relationships and has personal impact through engaging respectfully and professionally
- Focus on personal accountability and ownership constantly challenging oneself to take responsibility for continuous performance improvement and operational excellence; reliable and predictable for colleagues and customers
- Focus on HCP and patient needs
- Ability to exchange scientific ideas and information effectively with KOLs and other HCPs; excellent presentation skills of scientific and medical data to small and large audiences
- Demonstrate in-depth therapeutic competency and expertise of the leading science in designated disease state; maintain knowledge base and scientific expertise on all assigned Takeda disease areas and products
- Able to manage challenging conversations and handle objections
- Effective listening skills
- Ability to work effectively in virtual teams
- Ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Positive attitude: has a winning attitude and demonstrates a commitment to goals and to MSL team with a positive approach to problems
- Highly motivated and self-directed with ability to think innovatively & strategically, skillfully plan, manage and prioritize multiple projects independently; demonstrates resilience and flexibility
- Develop and update knowledge of applicable pharmaceutical guidelines and regulations, Code of Ethical Practices and company policies
- Above average computer skills (MS Office, databases, etc)
Complexity and Problem Solving:
- Appropriate identification, assessment, and development of relationships with KOLs
- External stakeholder management and conflict resolution
- Individual activity plan development overseen by Manager
- Appropriate assessment and allocation of available resources
Other Job Requirements:
- Frequent travel is required. Availability to travel up to 70% of time
- Availability to attend meetings on holidays and weekends
- Clean and valid driver s license
- Fluent in English and local territory language are both mandatory
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.