- Under the guidance of the MSL Lead or Country Medical Lead (CML), the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) drives the implementation of the Country medical affairs plans related primarily to KOL engagement and data dissemination.
- In a compliant manner, the MSL systematically identifies the needs of KOLs, investigators and other stakeholders in patient care, establishes strong professional relationships, provides credible scientific expertise and serves as a link to Takeda Global Medical, Global Clinical and external partners.
- The MSL serves as a field-based extension of the country Therapeutic Area team.
- Externally focused, Health Care Professional (HCP) related activities are expected to comprise at least 80% of MSL responsibilities.
- The MSL maintains personal expertise in relevant disease areas and MSL best practices that can be applied externally and internally.
- The Manager level MSL will have additional project, mentorship, and leadership responsibilities
- New York
- Rhode Island
- New Hampshire
KOL Engagement - 50%
- Through compliant scientific exchange, builds and maintains professional relationships with external stakeholders to expand Takeda's research, advisory and educational partnership opportunities
- Ensure high standard of professionalism to develop and maintain peer-to-peer scientific relationships with key thought leaders in healthcare, academia, payer, and government organizations per strategic territory plans and as requested by KOLs, including the management of strategic scientific partnerships and scientific exchange
- Provide scientific liaison support to Investigators currently involved in the Takeda's Company sponsored interventional or observational studies and investigator initiated research
- Serve as a liaison between healthcare practitioners (HCPs) and Takeda's medical affairs
- Facilitate 1:1 and group scientific interactions with healthcare professionals
- Participate in KOL engagement planning
- Maintain KOL plans and update medical customer relationship management system in a timely, accurate, and compliant manner
Data Dissemination - 20%
- Contribute to compliant data dissemination according to country medical affairs plan.
- Ensure scientific exchange with HCPs by fostering fair and balanced medical and scientific communications that are not misleading
- Present clinical and disease state information to a variety of audiences (KOLs, HCPs, hospital/decision making teams, etc.) upon requests and/or according to country medical plans
- Support data dissemination in congresses in according to plans
- May be involved in responding, within defined timeline and quality standards, to unsolicited inquiries from HCPs and other stakeholders received by Global Medical Affairs and referred to GMA by other Takeda functions; forwards reports of adverse events according to Takeda's policy
- Conduct therapeutic training for Sales and Medical colleagues upon request (less than 10% of all MSL activities)
- Other as directed by manager
Medical leadership and strategic planning - 20%
- Communicates key medical insights from KOLs/HCPs to inform refinement of medical strategies or tactics
- Generate new ideas and constantly searches for novel applications of development plan strategies and tactics
- Proactively contributes to and/or leads project teams
- Provide scientific input and participate in local medical and cross-functional initiatives
- Foster teamwork to achieve strategic objectives
- Encourages an environment leading positive performance among colleagues and internal customers, and supports both individual and overall program success.
- Provide field-based medical support to Takeda's clinical research programs, registries, and facilitation of the investigator initiated research process
Knowledge, expertise and insights management - 10%
- Maintain awareness of and access to internal and external information sources available to support high-quality scientific exchange with HCP
- Develop/increase knowledge of medical literature and critical appraisal of scientific publications
- Maintain knowledge base and scientific expertise on all assigned Takeda disease areas and products
- Maintaining personal expertise in MSL best practices.
- Develop and update knowledge of applicable pharmaceutical guidelines and regulations. Code of Ethical Practices and company policies
- Gain customer insights, opinions and feedback and share internally
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A doctoral degree in life sciences (MD, PharmD or PhD or equivalent) is preferred; a Master s degree in life sciences (MSN, PA-C, etc) is the minimum requirement
- A minimum of 4 years of experience as a field based MSL is required
- Experience in quickly developing a network of strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve business objectives
- Experience in delivering oral presentations within the healthcare profession to both large and small audience
- Experience in leading project teams delivering strategic results for internal and external stakeholders
Complexity and Problem Solving:
- Appropriate identification, assessment, and development of relationships with KOLs
- External stakeholder management and conflict resolution
- Individual activity plan development overseen by Manager
- Appropriate assessment and allocation of available resources
Other Job Requirements:
- Frequent travel is required. Availability to travel up to 70% of time
- Availability to attend meetings on holidays and weekends
- Clean and valid driver s license
- Fluent in English and local territory language are both mandatory
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.