Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Lead Research Strategy in our Cambridge office. Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Lead Research Strategy, you will be empowered to lead strategy reviews on portfolio, capacity, resourcing, and cross-functional coordination and independently and proactively formulates potential strategic initiatives for groups across Research, and a typical day will include:
- Define and execute Research strategy initiatives in alignment with the Global Head of Research S&O, Head of Research, and Research Senior Leadership Team
- Lead strategy reviews on portfolio, capacity, resourcing, and cross-functional coordination
- Provide advice to Takeda Global Research leadership and partners across R&D (including Finance, HR, Procurement)
- Drive and facilitate successful Research senior leadership meetings and discussion forums
- Independently and proactively formulates potential strategic initiatives for groups across Research
- Supports the Global Research Head of Strategy & Operations in facilitating Research Leadership Team meetings to drive decision making.
- Synthesizes outcomes of Research Leadership Team meetings and establishes deliverables.
- Monitors progress toward Research KPIs, recommending interventions as necessary to ensure that the organization is on track to meet or exceed its performance targets.
- Evaluates Research performance holistically over time, including portfolio and capacity evolution, to inform future planning.
- Monitors activities/reviews in the broader R&D organization and ensure awareness/alignment across functional lines
- Leads and/or guides key non-project Research initiatives including developing work plans, budgets, risk mitigation and support strategies.
- Contributes to creating an employment culture and values which attract, retain, and develop the most effective people.
- Understanding of drug discovery activities and Research line functions roles and responsibilities
- Broad scientific understanding of Global Takeda Research s core areas: gastroenterology, neuroscience, oncology, rare diseases
- Demonstrated ability to work across functions, regions and cultures
- Enterprise level leadership with the ability to inspire, motivate and drive results
- Ability to present complex information clearly and with confidence
- Excellent communicator, able to persuasively convey both ideas and data, verbally and in writing
- Proven skills as an effective team player who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company
- Ability to distil complex issues and ideas down to simple comprehensible terms
- Embraces and demonstrates a diversity and inclusion mindset and role models these behaviors for the organization ensures and encourages diversity
- An inspirational leader who shares passion and motivates others
- Shares mission and vision with team members and facilitates the achievement of their goals
- Promotes scientific and career development for team members at al levels
- Mentors team members through review of key decisions, issue resolution and responses to challenges
- Ensures viable succession plan and readiness of candidate successors for roles as necessary
- Ensures and encourages diversity
- Empowered and accountable for senior team hiring decisions and for oversight of overall headcount deployment
- Decision making responsibilities:
- Provide input to highly complex decisions that impact the functional area
- Accountable for decision making for designated function
- Ability to seek diverse input from multiple constituents and stakeholders to drive innovative solutions
- Ability to incorporate feedback and ensure decisions are implemented swiftly to yield flawless execution
- Accountable for providing input to and implementing vision and strategy for designated scope
- Effectively navigates the changing external and internal environment and leads others through change by creating and inspiring and engaging workplace
- Cultivates a broad network of relationships throughout Takeda, with affiliates and external partners, in the industry and area of expertise.
- Effectively represents function in negotiations with the ability to resolve conflict in a constructive manner
- Ability to build strong relationships and collaborate effectively with other interfacing Takeda functions
- Forward thinking with the ability to recommend, influence and implement organizational change and continuous innovation
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and bringing forward innovative solutions
- Ability to take risks implementing innovative solutions, accelerating time to market
- Identifies opportunities and anticipates changes in the business landscape through an understanding and ongoing assessment of the environment affecting the business.
- Role models respect and inclusion, creating a culture that fosters innovation
- Ability to work in a global ecosystem (internal and external) with a high degree of complexity
- Deep expertise required
- Ability to see and understand broader, enterprise level perspective
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Has strong leadership skills and acumen.
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Shows cross-cultural understanding to utilize the diverse talents and has demonstrated ability to manage teams to maximize the organizational productivity
- Capable of leading a matrixed team comprised of scientists from within Takeda as well as external collaborators.
- Minimum of 5+ years experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry with a demonstrable deep understanding of drug discovery & development practices and significant experience in biotechnology / pharmaceutical field.
- Advanced degree in Chemistry, Biology, or related field preferred but may not be required based on industrial experience in a biotech/pharma R&D setting
Will manage globally coordinated work product, possibly with direct reports at multiple locations. Approximately 25% travel may be required. Domestic and international flights with overnight stays are required.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
Company match of charitable contributions
Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.