The Histology intern will work under the guidance and mentorship of histology experts and pharmacologists to support tissue processing, expression analysis, and documentation in support of early stage drug targets.
- Help in processing tissues for immuno- and histochemical analysis, including embedding and sectioning.
- Learn to use lab equipment and software to capture and file processed slide images for historical documentation.
- Lead efforts to transition data from internal server to cloud-based, searchable database.
- Assist in tissue analysis using quantification software.
- Assist in organizing the inventory of histological samples.
- Assist in maintaining laboratory equipment and instruments used in research experiments.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Undergraduate student in good academic standing with a focus in pharmacy, pharmaceutical science, or a related biological or chemical science field.
- Students must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Expected hours: up to 40 hours during school summer break.
- Applicants must be highly motivated, self-starters with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Applicants must be willing to work with rodent and human tissue samples.
- Candidate should have an interest in neuroscience, immunology, and/or gastrointestinal biology.
- Previous experience with immunohistochemistry (IHC)/immunofluorescence (IF) is preferred but not required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of Aperio software.
- Potential exposure to cold temperatures, loud noises, reactive and toxic chemicals and possible rodent allergens.
San Diego, CA
Paid Intern (Fixed Term) (Trainee)