Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as Associate Director/Director, Project Management and Business Operations, CEI in our Cambridge office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
- The candidate provides project management, diligence, and leadership skills support to the Center for External Innovation (CEI) Business Development (BD) team in the successful identification, evaluation, and conclusion of transactions to meet Takeda s strategic objectives. The CEI BD team is Therapeutic Area (TA) aligned across Oncology (ONC), Neuroscience (NS), Rare Disease (RD), and Gastrointestinal (GI) and responsible for all Research and Development stage Business Development activities. In this capacity, the Associate Director/Director of Project Management works closely with CEI-BD and with each Therapeutic Area Unit (TAU) and Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) to; (i) develop a partnering strategy that supports the TAU/DDU R&D strategies (ii) identify and triage opportunities consistent with the agreed strategy, (iii) lead cross-functional due diligence teams to efficiently assess opportunities of all types including acquisition, in-licensing, research collaborations and alliance opportunities across the R&D pipeline. This position is a critical role within this core team.
The candidate also helps drive business and operational efficiency and effectiveness, creates and executes CEI s external communication strategy; and develops, implements, and maintains CEI s knowledge management systems.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the global CEI team as well as key stakeholders such as Legal, IP, Finance, and other members of the deal teams to develop and execute on the DDU s and TAU s external innovation strategies and plans.
- Depending on the specific role, lead BD diligence activities including triage of BD initiatives, formation of diligence teams, leading due diligence for specific opportunities under engagement, and reviewing the diligence output with stakeholders as appropriate
- Develop and implement sustainable operating models, systems and processes to improve efficiency of CEI such as improving triage and due diligence processes, reduce cycle times for segments of the deal flow process, and solve organizational bottlenecks.
- Collaborate with global CEI colleagues, as well as corporate communications, R&D communications, and external firms to develop communication strategies and corresponding marketing materials (print, online, social media, etc.) aimed at improving Takeda s brand recognition and outside party perceptions of Takeda as a deal partner as well as for the effective communication of CEI s mission to internal and external audiences.
- Plan for and manage externally-facing events e.g. networking events, BIO International, BIO Europe, and JP Morgan, and other conferences/events as relevant
- Collaborate with global Takeda colleagues and external firms to assess user requirements and design technology solutions to address CEI s needs such as contacts management and analytics, deal flow tracking and reporting and external innovation network analytics
- Proactively drive project and resource priorities that align with the DDU and TAU external innovation business objectives.
- Assemble and manage cross-functional due diligence teams, define and track the progress of due diligence, outline key strategic objectives and operational plans for each transaction, ensure timelines are met for due diligence, ensure deal needs are defined and tracked (e.g. budgeting, financial evaluation, operational resources needed for post-deal management, etc.).
- Establish, communicate, and execute plans resulting in achievement of the external innovation project goals of each DDU and TAU.
- Partner with global CEI colleagues DDUs, and TAUs to develop and monitor project-specific timelines, identify ways to efficiently manage due diligence and other deal activities, make suggestions for improving the deal review and governance process.
- Communicate progress, lessons learned, and suggestions for improvement to CEI as well as to broader TAU/DDU community.
- Participate in the discussions with DDU, TAU, and Portfolio Management functions to set the external innovation strategy and plan DDUs and TAUs and prioritize external transactions.
- Manage all aspects of DDU/TAU management update meetings including database updates, report generation, pre-read dissemination, and action plan follow-up.
- Improve triage process for potential deals to reduce resources spent evaluating off-strategy deals.
- Collaborate with CEI colleagues to redesign a fit-for-purpose due diligence process
- Revise and/or create new processes for due diligence to be used by CEI/BD Leads and PMs describing fit-for-purpose due diligence approach with key questions to be answered and roles/responsibilities for each stakeholder/key function by deal stage and type
- Create and implement streamlined due diligence reporting templates for each key due diligence team/stakeholder
- Measure CEI performance against metrics and report results to CEI senior management
- Collaborate with global Takeda colleagues in CEI, GBD, Corporate Communications, and external firms to develop and successfully deliver effective communication materials for key meetings, conferences, and conventions.
- Plan for and manage externally-facing events conferences/events as relevant
- Implement technology and process solutions to meet Takeda s manage external innovation objectives (especially for the CEI and Research functions) in the areas of competitive intelligence, contact management, transaction management, and deal/opportunity evaluation and planning
- Develop processes and job aids for system users and foster wide adoption of the systems and process across CEI and Research.
Develop and implement robust and user-friendly reporting capabilities of the Knowledge Management system.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Advanced degree in science or business-related field is required
- PMP certification is strongly desired
- MBA or equivalent is strongly desired
- Thorough knowledge (minimum 10 years) of pharmaceutical industry and experience in Clinical Research, Regulatory, CMC, Marketing, or other drug development related function or related experience in strategic/management consulting to pharmaceutical industry.
- 6-8 years project management experience and/or proven leadership experience in managing a global, matrix team with or without direct reports.
- Significant relevant experience in global intercultural cooperation
- Proven leadership skills managing matrix teams, influencing outcomes and key project decisions, and strategic problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and present key information objectively and collaborate effectively with management
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate/ prepare presentations for management
- Strong influencing skills
Knowledge and Skills:
- Project leadership and management skills are essential
- Therapeutic area expertise is strongly desirable
- Ability to predict issues and solve problems by independent resolution
- Ability to articulate and establish processes that have impact cross-functionally, cross-divisionally, and cross-geographically
- Ability to drive decision-making within a cross-functional and cross-cultural global team structure
- Ability to work in a virtual setting/across time-zones, i.e., making effective use of communication tools (WebEx, TelePresence, telephone and video conferencing, etc.)
- Ability to inspire and motivate an interfacing and cross-geographical team
- Flexibility, tolerance, and diplomacy to best manage change and differing opinions
- Ability to work in a highly complex, multi-cultural, often stressful environment
- Highly effective communications skills written and verbal
- Management of multiple tasks of varied complexity simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills
- A solid business background as well as excellent commercial understanding are essential
- Effective negotiation and positive influencing abilities
- Proven ability to work effectively and diplomatically in conflict situations
- Highly effective presentation skills create and deliver presentations with appropriate messaging and focused recommendations
- Microsoft Project Professional, SharePoint, Excel, PowerPoint & Word
- Fluency in English
- May travel to the US and Japan offices and other meeting locations internationally.
- Approximately 25% travel is required
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.