Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry in our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry, you will be empowered to formulate project level goals and strategy through collaboration with other members of the organization.
- Leads, inspires and motivates chemistry and interdisciplinary project teams.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of medicinal chemistry principles and their application within an integrated drug discovery environment. Responsible for setting strategies, priorities and managing activities to deliver on objectives and milestones.
- Capable of multitasking, including leading one or more discovery programs from hit to tool/lead and/or lead optimization.
- Provides expert medicinal chemistry input in evaluation of external/partnership opportunities, including participating in diligence exercises.
- Provides expert mentorship and proactively supports the professional development of line reports and colleagues.
- Leads chemistry and/or cross-functional teams (in house and with partners) in defining and implementing strategies for hit identification, hit-to-tool optimization, lead optimization and delivery of candidate molecules.
- Maintains a current appreciation of the scientific literature and understanding of the state of the art in medicinal chemistry.
- Demonstrates inter-disciplinary knowledge of drug discovery (in vitro/in vivo pharmacology, ADME, PK/PD/E, translational research & toxicology) and able to use this knowledge to influence project strategy.
- Partners with cross-functional teams to generate data to supports the project goals & deliverables to drive key GNG decisions for drug discovery program from target validation to candidate selection.
- Prepares and organizes data for presentation. Presents written and oral reports to management. Communicates research efforts to collaborators, corporate partners, or at scientific meetings.
- Strong and effective manager of both junior and senior scientists, demonstrating exemplary behaviors and able to support and enhance career development of all line reports
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Organic/Medicinal Chemistry with thesis, publication(s), postdoctoral experience, and a minimum of 5 years relevant scientific and technical experience including industry experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in hypothesis based medicinal chemistry. Proven track record of driving discovery programs to key pre-clinical G/NG decision points, including the successful identification of development candidates.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic multidisciplinary environment and matrix organization.
- Positive can-do attitude with excellent communication and collaboration skills and ability to work with cross-functional scientists. Ability to clearly and concisely conveys ideas and opinions
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Professionally represents the organization in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in life science as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and/or products and clinical candidates
- Experience in effectively managing more junior personnel and able to identify and create personalized development opportunities for line reports.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e., computers, phones, etc.).
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects.
- Ability to stand and work in a laboratory environment
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 5-10% travel.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please
San Diego, CA