Pretty sure you’re aware of the popularity of telehealth these days. It’s incredible how the growth of technology has made it easier for us to do things today. It has transformed how you stay in touch with friends and family, order things online, and conveniently do your tasks at home. More importantly, it has also changed how you connect with your healthcare provider and receive health information services.
At present, telehealth is gaining traction, especially among adults, for its convenience and affordability. These days there are several virtual care tech services you can use to avail the services you need from the comfort of your home.
Let us tell you more about telehealth!
What Do You Mean By Telehealth?
Telehealth basically means virtual check-ups or remote patient monitoring. Using digital services, you can easily set appointments with a healthcare provider regarding your health without visiting the hospital or clinic in person.
Thanks to technology, you can access services at home from your smartphone, laptop, or tablet and communicate via call, messages, or email to stay updated about your health. Likewise, your doctor may also recommend wearable medical devices to keep track of your health status.
In the last several years, digital healthcare services have become a common option for health consultation. Especially with the onset of the pandemic, people used telehealth services globally, and virtual visits still remain popular among patients for their convenience.
Telehealth is on its way to changing how people receive treatment and is quickly becoming a popular option in healthcare, all thanks to advanced telecommunication systems.
Types Of Healthcare Services You Can Get From Telehealth
Services that you can get from telehealth are plenty. These days you can receive consultation from a doctor and determine your health care plan at home.
- You can receive specialized consultations and medicine prescriptions and monitor your ongoing treatment or chronic health issues.
- You can receive mental health treatment online, such as therapy and counseling.
- You can get urgent prescriptions for allergies, colds, coughs, and stomach pains.
- You can receive medication for your skin and hair conditions.
- You can get nutrition support.
- Dental care and more.
Besides, you may also be asked to provide detailed information about your health for proper treatment. You might need to include details, such as your weight, blood pressure, images of infection, details of your symptoms, or medical records.
Advantages Of Telehealth
- Make an appointment with your doctor from the comfort of your home.
- No more waiting in line or driving to the hospital or clinic.
- You can conveniently set up an appointment depending on your schedule.
- It’s time and money-saving.
- It’s more convenient for people in rural areas.
- Beneficial for people with physical disabilities.
- Reduced stress.
- Access to specialists any time of the day.
- Quick prescription during emergencies.
Disadvantages Of Telehealth
- Symptoms that need visual assessment from a doctor may be challenging to diagnose virtually.
- Some treatment requires a physical examination.
- Technical glitches may halt your appointment.
- Treatment may differ from your local health care provider.
- Some patients may find it difficult to explain symptoms clearly through the camera.
How Does Telehealth Services Improve Healthcare?
Technology has brought about many changes, including the way people access healthcare. Telehealth services have made it more convenient for people to receive treatment from anywhere and anytime around the world without stepping out of their homes. This is why more people are now skipping the traditional way of making face-to-face appointments and are leaning more toward virtual visits.
In short, telehealth is revolutionizing the healthcare system.
Several technologies are utilized for telehealth services to improve the healthcare system, such as m-health (mobile health), digital photography, remote patient monitoring (RPM), etc.
- M-Health Or Mobile Health – The majority of the population owns smartphones, making it easier to access mobile healthcare apps and services. You’ll find many mobile health applications available online for several health conditions, such as asthma, blood pressure, weight management, diabetes, etc.
Using these applications, you can track your health, communicate or share information with registered doctors, set appointments via call or video, and set medication reminders.
- Virtual Appointment – Some clinics can offer virtual appointments to patients who cannot visit personally or if your symptoms are mild and don’t require a physical examination. It can be a headache, cold, cough, allergy, eye infection, UTI, or hair loss. This virtual check-up system lets you talk to your healthcare provider via phone, video conference, or text by sending images.
Moreover, during your virtual consultation, if the doctor identifies underlying health issues, you might be asked to visit a medical professional personally.
- Remote Patient Monitoring (RPM) – Remote patient monitoring involves collecting patients’ health records or data through wearables or mobile apps. This remote monitoring system can significantly improve the health or condition of a patient, including those with physical disabilities, especially older people who need more care.
Wearable devices can automatically record your health status, such as the number of steps you take, heart rate, blood pressure, and sleep activity.
Moreover, these devices can also send alerts or notifications for your daily exercise and timely medication.
Telehealth offers numerous benefits, and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, as most health conditions don’t require a physical examination and can be consulted online conveniently. What’s more? You won’t have to take leave for check-ups or travel for appointments.
However, virtual check-ups may not be enough for some treatments, so it’s best to consult your doctor and decide the best option.