Clinical Operations 20430-MZ
R&D Global Project Manager
The R&D Global Program Manager (GPM) is responsible for managing the operational, planning, and decision-making processes within the Early Development Team and driving development activities and being a team member in the Late Product Teams (EPT/LPT). The global GPM works closely with the Global Development Lead (GDL) in the EPT and with the GDL and Product Strategy Lead (PSL) in the LPT as related to development activities. The GPM also works to ensure the cross-functional teams operate effectively with positive Global team dynamics. As a key member of EPT/LPT, the global GPM is expected to be knowledgeable about the overall development program in order to be strategic in planning, team management and process management. The GPM achieves this by delivering high quality program management support and other high value services that supports the team and improves the probability of program success.
The GPM works closely with EPT/LPT members to ensure timely completion of deliverables required to ensure robust and balanced cross-functional planning, decision-making, implementation and monitoring and risk management of global programs. The GPM contributes to the development and execution of cross-business initiatives and processes.
- Coordinate and drive development process planning activities of the EPT/LPT including Target Product Profile, Integrated Development Plans, Long Range Plan, and budget inputs and go/no go criteria as appropriate.
- In collaboration with the GDL to facilitate the elaboration, approval and execution of the global program strategy, as well as facilitate the decision-making process for their program(s)
- Work independently to provide best-in-class operations and program management expertise to drive EPT/LPT members towards excellence in execution.
- Maintain the overall development plans and enterprise portfolio inputs
- Closely collaborate with GDL/PSL and EPT/LPT functional team members to ensure coordinated evaluation of product opportunities/ scenarios and development of comprehensive integrated recommendations to Governance Committees (i.e. Pipeline Committee) and strategic and operational product plans based on defined program objectives.
- Implement development plan flawlessly by managing EPT/LPT operations, i.e.
o Track project deliverables, timelines and budget
o Lead and facilitate cross-functional team meetings (agendas, minutes, tracking actions, etc.)
o Facilitate team goal setting and tracking to ensure adherence to plan and strategy, and end of year team evaluation process
o Coordinate EPT/LPT communications to ensure team member alignment
o Issue and present reports and updates to senior management and various governance committees on a routine basis
- Provide clear direction on product development requirements to meet expectations of external customers and business stakeholders
- Responsible for driving decision making under uncertainty with understanding of risks or when there is substantial program impact
- Manage other cross-functional projects (either strategic and/or operational) as required
Reinforce team operating principles to maximize alignment within the team and with other functions
80%: The GPM works closely with EPT/LPT members to ensure timely completion of deliverables required to ensure robust and balanced cross-functional planning, decision-making, implementation and monitoring of global programs
10%: The GPM contributes to the development and execution of cross-business initiatives and processes.
0% -10% Managing processes of defined scope required for effective program management (if appropriate)
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in drug development in a pharmaceutical environment and/or Minimum of 3 years of cross-functional program management experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex cross-functional teams and processes
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or equivalent proficiency a plus
- Knowledge and understanding of global drug development
- Strong understanding and competency in planning processes and decision making
- Demonstrated experience using standard program management tools and software including integrated development plans, timelines, risk management, and budget development and monitoring
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- High level of accountability
- Able to translate strategies into tangible deliverables for team to execute
- Independent and creative thinker requiring minimum oversight.
Strong influencing and interpersonal skills including negotiation, managing meetings and group dynamics, ability to balance concerns of line management with objectives of cross-functional team. Strong influencing without authority
- Management and leadership of complex projects
- Strong analytical and decision-making ability, including ability to synthesize complex and diverse inputs to a problem, and recommend solutions/preferred options
- Superb communication skills, including written and oral communication of executive level information and recommendations
- Ability to provide insight into complex program interdependencies and assist in providing related budget and FTE impact
- Pro-active with ability to adapt quickly and well to change, both organizationally and culturally
- Fluency (spoken and written) in English
- Complexity and Problem Solving
- Leading cross-functional teams in resolving complex problems
- Defining priorities and using them to quickly and objectively driving cross-functional teams towards the appropriate path
- Working cross-functionally to select appropriate tactics to execute strategy
- Working with a cross-functional team to develop robust arguments supporting recommendations to senior leaders and key stakeholders.
Interacts regularly with:
- Global Development Lead (GDL) / Product Strategy Lead (PSL)
- Product Strategy Program Manager
- Members of the EPT/LPT
- Colleagues in the R&D Program Management Department
- Functional representatives (R&D, Tech Ops, Finance, etc.) across the organization
Please visit our website at www.randstadpharma.com