The Group Lead of the PMO, provides leadership to the project management team, ensuring the successful delivery of multiple and/or complex projects within the CMO or GMA.
This will be achieved by:
- Providing strategic, process and functional leadership to project managers in the successful delivery of CMO / GMA projects
- Partnering with the Head of CMO PMO to set the vision and direction for the PMO and prioritization of projects and resources
- Partnering with Medical Franchise Heads and Medical Functions Leaders to support delivery of operational plans via deployment of high caliber project management resources to support CMO / GMA Projects and activities.
- Manages the PMO team budget and provides oversight to Project Managers for the oversight and management of project budgets
- May also serve as a PM for certain projects depending on work allocation across the PMO
SCOPE AND ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Serves as functional manager to PMO staff and builds a high performing project management team by selecting, developing and managing direct reports
- Provides strategic and tactical leadership to PMO staff who are responsible for leading the individual development programs
- Provides direction and mentors/coaches team in driving for results; helps them break down problems; looks for opportunities where PMs can demonstrate abilities; uses effective coaching techniques to refocus and address frustrations; leads by example (e.g. maintains composure under pressure)
- Reports on progress of projects, issues/mitigation strategies to Head of CMO PMO.
- Leads the definition, creation, documentation, and maintenance of Project Management standards and processes as well as promoting the use of R&D best practice within PMO.
- Provides oversight and monitors budget and expenses for the PMO and participates in the budget update process to achieve CMO/GMA financial goals.
- Responsible for PM resource allocation and to consolidate resource requests and negotiate appropriate resources across Medical Franchise Units and other CMO / GMA functional areas
- Proactively identifies issues before they arise and develops contingency plans; communicates project-related issues to Head of CMOPMO and manages issues to resolution
- Directs change management process in modifying project team structure to maximize efficiencies and realize CMO/GMA vision
- Proactively directs adjustments in PMO functional plans in response to changes in strategic direction.
- Maximizes business results through continuous process improvements.
- Contributes to the creation and maintenance of systems/databases for the purpose of tracking, reporting and improving decisions regarding project performance
- Assures that appropriate training and education programs are in place that meet long term strategies and goals of Takeda and personnel development.
- Ensures consistent application and knowledge of project management methodologies, processes and tools across the function.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS:
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Strong knowledge of pharmaceutical industry and program management experience in leading cross-functional, global projects within Medical Affairs, Clinical Research, Regulatory, CMC, Marketing or other drug development related function
- Knowledge of the drug development and commercialization process, and an understanding of the functions within the pharmaceutical industry
- Demonstrated previous experience as a project manager leading complex pharmaceutical project deliverable s in a multi-disciplinary, global environment
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and present key information objectively and collaborate effectively with management
- Experience managing program and/or functional budgets
- Knowledge of regulatory and compliance guidelines governing medical affairs
- Applied knowledge of performance measurement (e.g. metrics, dashboards)
- Detailed knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry and extensive project management skills are required
- Demonstrated leadership skills and strategic problem-solving ability
- Proven people management skills: experience should include managing manager to Director level employees
- Uses knowledge and interpersonal skills to influence and guide others towards the accomplishment of goals and objectives. Requires the flexibility and tolerance to best manage change and differing opinions with diplomacy and competence
- Experience building effective networks with internal stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate with and prepare presentations for Senior Management
- Proven skills in negotiation, influencing without authority and working diplomatically through conflict
- Generates collaboration, cooperation and communication globally and between regions ensuring that CMO/GMA goals are achieved
Decision-Making and Autonomy
- Ability to predict issues, anticipate risks and solve problems
- Ability to articulate and establish processes which impact cross-functionally
- Ability to drive decision-making within a cross-functional and cross-cultural, global team structure
- Issue identification and independent resolution
- Flexibility, tolerance and diplomacy to best manage change and differing opinions
- Ability to work in a highly complex, multi-cultural, often stressful environment
- Highly effective written and verbal Communication Skills: ability to express oneself clearly and concisely to internal and external partners
- Demonstrate ability to clearly and concisely communicate/present key information to senior management
- Excellent organizational skills
- Effective negotiation and positive influencing abilities
- Proven ability to work effectively and diplomatically in conflict situations
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor s Degree science or business-related field is required
- Advanced degree in science or business is preferred
- Project Management Professional certification with PMI desired
- 8 - 10 years of pharmaceutical industry experience is required
- Previous drug development experience is preferred (e.g. Clinical Research, Regulatory, CMC, or BDM or other development related function)
- 6 years experience as a project manager leading complex pharmaceutical projects in a multi-disciplinary, global environment
- Minimum of 5 years people management experience and/or proven leadership experience in managing a global, matrix team
- May travel to the US, EU and Japan offices and other meeting locations internationally
- Approximately 25% travel is required
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.