Job Function and Description
- 50% Floor Support Support ongoing operations on the manufacturing floor. Attend manufacturing morning meeting. Respond and troubleshoot process issues; evaluate process data including bioreactor performance. Conduct batch review. Provide training to manufacturing personnel. Identify and advance continuous improvement initiatives. Provide inspection support as needed. Provide weekend call-in coverage as needed.
- 10% Process Quality Systems Support deviation initiation, conduct operator interview, and provide detailed event description.
- 10% Documentation Author testing/sampling protocol. Review SOP and batch record as needed.
- 10% Tech Transfer Function as Manufacturing Sciences lead for technology transfers, including equipment and facility fit evaluations
- 20% Process Monitoring A key part of this role will be assisting with continued development of the process monitoring capabilities for manufacturing cell culture operations. This will include support of a real time multivariate process monitoring system for bioreactor operations. The individual will collaborate with key subject matter experts (SMEs) from the Manufacturing Sciences team as well as cross functional groups such as Automation Engineering, Process Development, Manufacturing and the Technical Knowledge Management to assist with the further development of this real time process monitoring system.
Education and Experience Requirements
- BS in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering or Bio/Chemistry with 3 to 5 years or MS with 2 to 3 years of process development / manufacturing experience for the purification of of recombinant proteins.
- Hands-on experience with large-scale cell culture processes, preferably with commercial or licensed products.
- A working familiarity with single use process systems, automation (local and distributed control systems), and sterile/aseptic processing in a cGMP environment. A detailed knowledge of the science and technology for the major unit operations associated with manufacturing operations to include cell culture, recovery, fluid transfer, filtration, chromatography, CIP/SIP, and UF/DF processes. Experience with troubleshooting / problem solving and risk assessment / mitigation.
- Demonstrated experience making science based and/or data-driven recommendations for manufacturing operations.
- Experience with process / technology transfers.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Candidate must have knowledge and experience with protein purification process development and GMP manufacturing support, including protein capture and recovery, chromatography purification, filtration, and UF/DF etc. Candidate must have working knowledge of cGMPs and statistical analysis methods.
- A familiarity with software based statistical analysis programs as well as training in quality improvement techniques, operational excellence tools and project management is a plus.
- As an active participant on multiple cross-functional teams, the candidate must also demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Complexity and Problem Solving
Candidate will make process decisions regarding product impact on a regular basis. Candidate will also be required to assess the requirements of processes against the capabilities of existing equipment/facilities interacting with cross-functional team members for review and resolution. Candidate must be able to work in a dynamic environment, be able to set and balance priorities, and serve as a change agent.
The candidate will:
- Develop solutions to a variety of problems. May refer to established precedents and policies.
- Work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Network with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.
- Have complete understanding and application of principles, concepts, practices, and standards. Full knowledge of industry practices.
- Exert some influence on the overall objectives and long-range goals of the organization.
- Represent organization as a prime contact on contracts or projects. Interacts with senior internal and external personnel on significant matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
Other Job Requirements
- Limited project-specific travel may be required for evaluation of new equipment.
- Periodic weekend call-in coverage. May require on-site assistance if warranted.
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.