Provide a brief summary describing the major role, responsibilities and purpose of the job. Summarize key areas of accountability and budget responsibility, if applicable.
Under the direction of the Senior Director Medical Devices and Combination Products, the Global Clinical Development Lead (GCDL) Medical Device and Combination Products will be responsible to serve as the device clinical representative on assigned project teams, sub teams and corporate initiatives.
The candidate will have demonstrated ability to manage multiple programs, therapeutic areas and/or work streams with a high degree of complexity; advanced understanding of the device development, execution of clinical programs and clinical studies to support novel drug delivery devices and combination products.
In addition will have in-depth knowledge of global regulatory/industry rules and guidance s (e.g. ICH, GCP, and labeling) to drive the strategic approach to medical device approval and clinical trial supporting documents development process. The Clinical Program Lead, Medical Devices is responsible for working closely cross-functionally with other global teams including Device Development, Quality Assurance, Clinical Operations, Global Regulatory, Drug Safety, Commercial, and Legal.
50% Oversight with an emphasis on strategic planning, implementation and execution program and work stream plans for therapeutic indications or company initiatives in keeping with corporate and department goals.
- Represents medical devices and combination products perspective in the clinical sub-team of Global Product Teams (GPTs)
- Collaborates with GPT Lead, Global Clinical Development Lead, Medical Director to ensure that all development and product support activities for medical devices are coordinated and consistent
- Review and edit clinical protocols and clinical study reports ensuring accuracy of scientific, clinical, and medical content
- Support reviews and interpretation of clinical data to deliver meaningful efficacy and safety conclusions
- Demonstrates the ability to interpret conclusions in context of product profiles and medical practice to create key messages, in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Support and / or lead clinical / medical advisory panels, steering committees, and investigator meetings
- Support and / or lead safety review committees and risk management activities as appropriate
- Participate in device and drug safety surveillance for development projects
- Participate in/or lead cross-functional teams in the development of clinical program deliverables including product labels, clinical trial training material, clinical and scientific summaries
- Manage and present clinical safety data involving drug and device variables
- Engage data management and biostatistics teams to collect and present clinical data summaries for cross functional review
- Provide update and direction to Sr. Management when conflicts, key developments and program scope/direction changes are identified.
- Effectively represent the interests and perspective of the Clinical Development Devices team
40% Assess skills and resources needed for success; work closely with internal and external stakeholders to leverage and optimize resources
- Provide medical review for clinical evaluations and clinical summaries per regulations and in advance of filing submissions for new devices and combination products
- Provide medical review and harm assessment for risk assessment activities for device and combination products across multiple therapeutic areas
- Assist in providing medical information support for marketed and development projects
- Lead or participate in internal and external medical writing resources to develop clinical summaries, clinical study reports, clinical evaluations, and pediatric assessments for submission to regulatory bodies
- Engage with KOLs and PIs in peer to peer discussions to support clinical trials, advisory boards, and scientific exchange.
- Lead or participate in the development and maintenance of policy and SOPs designed to ensure alignment with regulations, guidance, and internal company requirements
- Lead or participate in the development of instructions for use, product administration guides, and similar training material including procurement and clinical oversight of artwork and administration steps
- Contributes to the clinical study design for medical devices and combination products
- Assures clinical study design and data generated meets regulatory authority requirements
- Leads safety review input for medical devices and combination products
- Align with team members from other functional areas regarding planning, implementation, tracking, analysis and report of milestones
- Provide support to publication strategy for assigned projects / products assuring highest standards of science within product strategic needs and compliance requirements
5% Participate in business development and process improvement activities as needed
- Under the direction of the Senior Director, Clinical Development Medical Device and Combination Products participate in due diligence activities and or department and/or corporate wide task forces as appropriate
5% Other activities as deemed by management
- Participate in Research and Development, department and/or corporate wide task forces as appropriate
Education & Experience Requirements
- M.D. degree At least (8-10) years of experience in the pharmaceutical, device or biotechnology field with relevant industry experience
- Clinical practice experience 3-4 years minimum
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a matrixed environment
- Experience in submissions of IND/CTX/NDA/MAA and interactions with Regulatory authorities
- Experience with the Medical Device Regulation (MDR) and clinical evaluations
- Experience in designing and conducting clinical trials
- Experience with product development and design control in device and combination products
Key Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple programs and/or therapeutic areas associated with a high degree of complexity; known as effective resource for organization, execution, problem solving and influencing cross-functionally.
- Work closely with clinical development devices team comprised of clinicians and clinical program leaders.
- Ability to work closely with technical teams including device development engineers, human factors engineers, and device quality engineers.
- Solid knowledge of device FDA, ICH, GCP, MDR guidelines.
- In depth knowledge and experience evaluating, and leading teams to evaluate, clinical literature, clinical summaries, clinical protocols, and materials that include clinical data and safety data in medical device and combination products.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively present information to senior management, employees at all levels of the organization, and external audiences. Ability to act as company spokesperson or scientific witness as needed.
Other Job Components
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Strong interpersonal skills and motivates individuals and teams towards achieving results.
- Requires ability to critically assess processes, identify opportunities and implement improvements while collaborating with other functional experts.
- Requires high degree of problem solving ability; understanding of objectives and processes across multiple organizational functions.
Internal and External Contacts
List contacts this job advises, consults and coordinates with on a regular basis. Describe to whom this job is accountable. Indicate each Contact Category (Internal, Vendor, Customer, or Other) and provide examples.
- Internal interactions with Drug Clinical Development, Device Development, Medical Affairs, Program Management, Regulatory Affairs, Commercial, Legal, Quality, Compliance, and Drug Safety.
- External interactions with medical writing consultants, contract research organizations, core laboratories, investigators & investigation sites, patient organizations, KOLs and other stakeholders as identified.
- Availability to travel up to 25% of time.
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.