Formed in 2012, the Vaccine Business Unit (VBU) is the only fully integrated business unit within Takeda spanning global R&D, Manufacturing, and Commercial functions. Its mission is to develop and deliver innovative vaccines that tackle the toughest problems in public health and improve the lives of people around the world. This role will lead portfolio management for the vaccine pipeline, currently comprised of vaccine programs in development for dengue, norovirus, zika, polio and influenza, in close partnership with Global Program Teams (GPTs) and functional leaders within VBU. This role will be a key liaison between VBU leaders and the broader Takeda R&D governance process and organization, and will lead the development and implementation of effective processes and standards across each program in the VBU portfolio.
- Lead pipeline portfolio management support for the global vaccine business
- Drive the creation and maintenance of the portfolio strategy, working closely with GPTs and senior vaccine leaders, and ensure incorporation into the overall VBU strategic plan
- Lead and coordinate portfolio prioritization in VBU by partnering with VBU GPTs and functions and liaising with broader Takeda portfolio efforts in Takeda R&D
- Oversee and maintain the suite of key pipeline asset documents such as the asset strategy, integrated development plan, risk management plan, and probability of technical success for each program
- Represent VBU in broader Takeda forums, e.g., at R&D s cross-therapeutic area discussions, monthly corporate portfolio reports, and serve as the interface between VBU and Takeda R&D, Investor Relations, and other corporate functions
- Coordinate process to provide long-range vaccines financial forecasts for the annual corporate-wide forecast evaluation process by working with VBU finance team
- Project manage all ad-hoc portfolio assessments and task forces, leveraging the full VBU organization, and provide support, as needed, for any key VBU proposals requiring endorsement
- Lead continuous improvement efforts to optimize GPT operations and effectiveness, including sharing and implementing process and system best practices from the broader Takeda organization, and aligning standards and customization across vaccine GPTs
- Manage governance process for the vaccine portfolio
- Act as Secretary for the Development Committee (DECO), VBU s governance body for vaccine portfolio decisions and program updates, by working closely with the committee chairperson to determine topics for discussion and decisions and guide GPTs to develop timely and effective materials
- Lead the process to bring select vaccine portfolio decisions to the broader Takeda decision making bodies for endorsement in line with Takeda governance management policy
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Education & Experience
- Bachelor s Degree in science, engineering, business or a related field; Master s Degree in science, engineering, business or a related field is preferred; advanced degree (Ph.D) in life science field is ideal.
- For Ph.D: Minimum of 6 years experience in the industries/consulting companies for biotech, pharmaceuticals or a related field is preferred with a minimum of 2 years experience leading cross-functional teams in a matrix environment.
- For Master s Degree: Minimum of 8 years experience in the industries/consulting companies for biotech, pharmaceuticals or a related field is preferred with a minimum of 3 years experience leading cross-functional teams in a matrix environment.
- For Bachelor s Degree: Minimum of 10 years of experience in the industries/consulting companies for biotech, pharmaceuticals or a related field is preferred with a minimum of 4 years experience leading cross-functional teams in a matrix environment.
- MBA and/or experience in portfolio management, strategic planning and/or financial analytics is preferred.
- Work experience in management consulting, business development or investment banking companies with a focus on healthcare is a plus.
- Broad healthcare and/or pharmaceutical business exposure is highly preferred. Experience in vaccine industry is a plus.
- Experience working for a global organization including Japan / Asia is preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Diplomacy Skills strong skills in working with others, across all levels, functions, cultures, in a global environment; ability to speak multiple languages preferred (English communication skill is a must and Japanese communication skill is preferred).
- Proven leadership skills, conceptual thinking and strategic problem-solving ability.
- Proven ability to concisely communicate key information and collaborate effectively with senior management.
- Analytical Skills ability to analyze a wide variety of data, including financial figures to make strategic decisions.
- Strong innovative/critical thinking skills.
- Communications Skills excellent oral, written, and presentation communications skills needed.
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e. computers, phones, etc.).
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time while traveling.
- Approximately 10% travel to US domestic or international locations (e.g. Japan, Europe, or emerging countries) is required.
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.