Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Director, Oligonucleotide Chemistry at our recently dedicated San Diego Research Site.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Director, Oligonucleotide Chemistry, you will be empowered to serve on project teams for discovery to development programs.
- Organizational leader with responsibility to build a team and set strategy to deliver antisense oligonucleotide and siRNA therapeutics for multiple projects across various disease indications
- Leads an internal and external CRO team in identifying, developing, validating and implementing both current and novel next-generation technologies to enable proprietary ASO and siRNA therapeutic development.
- Responsible for creating and communicating a clear vision and strategy for oligonucleotide drug discovery, directed toward establishment and progression of an industry-leading research portfolio
- Independently designs and implements extensive scientific research projects relating to the development of antisense oligonucleotide or siRNA therapeutics.
- Provides significant input into overall DDU portfolio and department strategy. Contributes to multiple projects, acting as senior scientific consultant, may be a project team leader or providing key technical knowledge to a project team.
- Provides leadership and strategic support to other parts of the Takeda organization, and/or to external collaborators
- Accountable for the development of organizational culture and capabilities
- Responsible for management of resourcing and budget planning for his/her area of focus
- Contributes to the identification of novel delivery technology applicable to ASO and/or siRNA therapeutics.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of techniques aimed at producing novel conjugates of oligonucleotides, peptides, small molecules, and proteins
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in oligonucleotide research/development as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and/or products and clinical candidates
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of the chemistry of nucleosides, nucleotides, and oligonucleotides as applied to both antisense oligo and siRNA technology within a multi-disciplinary drug discovery environment
- Demostrates a working knowledge of novel oligonucleotide to antibody, peptide or small molecule conjugation methods
- Maintains a current appreciation of the scientific literature and understanding of the state of the art in ASO and siRNA chemistry, purification, and screening strategies
- Demonstrates inter-disciplinary knowledge of drug discovery (in vitro/in vivo pharmacology, ADME, PK/PD/E, translational research & toxicology).
- Has significant organizational leadership responsibility, including primary responsibility for building, setting vision and strategy and leading a team focused on developing novel oligonucleotide technologies and delivering ASO and siRNA therapeutics
- Recognized as a major contributor and/or leader of multi-disciplinary projects, with significant accountability for progress on projects important to achieving site goals.
- Communicates strategy and results in written and oral reports to various levels of management, collaborators, corporate partners, or at scientific meetings.
- Strong and effective manager of both junior and senior scientists, demonstrating exemplary behaviors and able to support and enhance career development of all line reports.
- Scientific driver for research strategy that impacts group internally and outside area of function.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Independently manages workload and expectations
- Scientifically independent
- Scientific driver for research strategy that impacts group internally and outside area of function
- Initiates and leads external interactions and collaborations
- Frequent contact with internal and external personnel at various management levels
- Positive can-do attitude with excellent communication and collaboration skills and ability to work with cross-functional scientists. Ability to clearly and concisely conveys ideas and opinions.
- Leads effort to identify emerging trends in oligonucleotide therapeutics and maintains awareness of competitive landscape
- Develops and contributes to company s intellectual property domain by way of patents and publications.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline with 12+ years experience , or
- MS with 16+ years experience, or
- BS with 18+ years experience
- 7 years of Industry experience required
- 7 years of managerial experience required
- WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA