Counsel, R&D Contracts Centers of Excellence and Legal Operations
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as the Counsel, R&D Contracts Centers of Excellence and Legal Operations.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Futureto people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
A typical day will include:
- To contribute to the R&D Legal function within Takeda s Global Legal Department by providing deep experience with R&D contracting.
- To develop and nurture a culture of high performance and professionalism
- To bring strong skills in management, collaboration and collegiality to the role with strong emphasis on ethics, diversity and inclusion and the Takeda patient-centric focus
- To draft and counsel on a variety of R&D related Agreements;
- To manage and provide expert advice to a team of experienced Contracts managers and specialists performing similar work
- Oversee a group of legal professional within the R&D legal function that provides important high volume, contract based legal services to the R&D organization and operational requirements to support this work;
- Negotiate, draft and review a wide variety of R&D agreements
- Oversee and ensure consistent legal advice on clinical trial contracts, informed consents, consulting agreements, investigator-initiated studies, patient engagement contracting, confidentiality and other types agreements;
- Support, oversee and assign R&D legal support to appropriate sub-teams of the company s development focused global product teams;
- Foster new ways of working in a legally compliant manner;
- Create an agile work environment that focuses on addressing routine client needs in a streamlined, scalable and timely approach;
- Provide input to the R&D legal operations group to creatively solve for the legal needs of the R&D group as it develops new ways of working by developing new processes, process improvements, tools and training and metric based systems to demonstrate performance improvements;
- Identify and analyze global legal, business and reputational risks to the company and consult with Head Counsel, R&D Contracts CoEs and Legal Ops to develop appropriate solutions;
- Proactively coordinate with legal colleagues globally to contribute to and to stay abreast of global pharmaceutical laws and regulations
- Train and guide internal clients on the use of contract templates, contract management system(s) and best contracting practices.
- Foster strong relationships within R&D, compliance, commercial law, intellectual property law and other related groups within the global enterprise to create efficient and effective processes and tools for clients;
- Evaluate and advise on relevant legal topics
- Contribute to cultivating a company culture that reflects a strong commitment to ethics, patients, employee engagement, diversity and inclusion;
- Strong experience and working knowledge of research and development of innovative pharmaceutical products;
- Highly proficient in contract negotiation and drafting and an in-depth understanding of contracting principals such as intellectual property, liability, indemnification, etc., particularly in relation to R&D contracts of all types
- Solid understanding of the laws and regulations of drug development and commercialization and the ability to interpret and apply the same;
- Oversee a group of global legal professionals (outside of Japan) in providing timely and pragmatic high volume contracting legal services to the global R&D organization
- Maintain an enterprise view in developing and delivering legal guidance to client base
- Select and manage external counsel and associated spend
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate concisely to clients and senior management, integrate legal and business knowledge, and provide clear and balanced advice regarding risks.
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Identify the need for process improvements to ensure optimal coordination of legal services and related functions to the global R&D organization for high volume contracts;
- Contribute to the development of tools to measure performance;
- Lead cross-functional / global initiatives to improve legal services in a risk appropriate manner
- Collaborate with legal and non-legal colleagues that contribute to the company s drug discovery and development efforts
- Have an interest in piloting new approaches to improve legal services in a risk appropriate way
- Experienced in reviewing, drafting and negotiating contracts and other legal documents in the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience in navigating successfully a highly matrixed global work environment
- Experience working on cross-functional teams that successfully met business goals while maintaining compliance with relevant laws, regulations and company policies.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- A minimum of 8 years of experience strongly preferred in one or more of the following: law firm or pharmaceutical or biotechnology legal department; government agency; contract administration; risk management or other relevant legal experience
- Experience with drafting, negotiating and advising on a variety of R&D Agreements in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry
- Experience effectively managing high performers
- Self-motivated, strong leadership, technical knowledge, business acumen, and excellent communication skills;
- Sound conflict resolution skills and ability to work in a collaborative, global environment
- Effective decision making; proven ability to assess and calibrate and effectively communicate legal risks to senior management and others.
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Active membership and in good standing in a state bar
Maintain minimum standards of education/certification in individual professional discipline.
- Ability to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips.
- Travel requirements estimated between 0-10%
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.