Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as an Associate Director, Strategic Academic Alliances in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
- Accelerate the development of novel therapeutics for unmet medical needs
- Contribute to the development of Takeda externalized discovery and development pipeline in identifying among Takeda academic networks innovative projects aligned with Takeda Strategy
- Manage and execute on projects within the Alliance in collaboration with Takeda research team
- Contribute to the creation of new alliances, project licensing and creation of Takeda funded new companies in providing scientific strategy, operation and management support
- Identify cutting edge technologies and translate into drug discovery projects aligned with Takeda strategy
- Develop new alliances/ extend current alliances (set up agreement in collaboration with legal team, set up governance and request for proposal mechanism)
- In collaboration with BD team, in license SAA network projects aligned with internal pipeline (negotiation of licencing and economic terms)
- Provide to Takeda Venture Inc, SAA derived projects to build new companies, develop scientific strategy and provide interim management support.
- Participate to the governance of Takeda vested alliance, incubator and NewCo (scientific committee and board members/observers)
- Get buy-in from our internal R&D team to select, run and potentially license collaborative projects
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Deep breath of knowledge in science applied to the 4 area of research at Takeda (Immuno-oncology, Neuroscience, Gastroenterology, Rare Diseases), expertise in Neuroscience is a plus
- Experience in early drug discovery program with proven project leadership
- Ability to participate in scientific discussion with Academic investigators
- Ability to participate to drug discovery project discussion within Takeda R&D team
Leadership(Vision, strategy and business alignment, people management, communication, influencing others, managing change)
- Strong team player, strong communication and influence to align stake holders for making decision on licensing and Newco creation
- The candidate should be able to lead and champion an idea or projects based on his own expertise/experience, shared with all stake holders (internally and externally)
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Although this position is for a team contributor due to the nature of the strategic academic alliance group, the candidate will be the SAA point of contact for one of Takeda Therapeutic areas and will champion a project/idea for licensing or build company based on his experience independently.
Interaction(The span and nature of one s engagement with others when performing one s job, internal and external relationships)
- Represent Takeda external face
- Interact with SAA team
- Interact with the different team in CEI (TVI, BD), interact with Drug discovery unit reps for SAA (Sr Director level) and drug discovery heads.
- Interact with legal and finance team
- High level of scientific knowledge (PhD, MD), strong entrepreneur (experience or mindset)
- As a member of SAA team, the candidate will have to interact with all part of the organization, as well as with the Tech Transfer from universities. Business and science communication ability is required.
- PhD in sciences, MD, PhD/MD ; MBA preferred but not required
- Drug discovery experience minimum of 5 years in pharmaceutical or biotech industry in pre-clinical stage. Proven project leader experience
- Expert in one of Takeda therapeutic areas. Oncology, Neuroscience, Gastroenterology and Rare Diseases-Neuroscience is a plus
- Previous experience in entrepreneurship position (involvement in start-ups, role in VC firm as consultant, associates, principals involved in the development of scientific strategy)
- Previous experience in licensing activities
- Strong entrepreneurial skills (curiosity, innovative, risk tolerance, pro-active)
- Excellent understanding of basic science,
- Strong strategy mindset (ability to develop research plan with milestones, go-nogo decision and contingency plans)
- Basic knowledge in company build
- Excellent team player
- Strong communications skills written and verbal
- High level of energy
- Management of multiple tasks of varied complexity simultaneously
- Project leadership and management skills
- Ability to predict issues and problem solving abilities
- Ability to drive decision-making within a cross-functional and cross-cultural, global team structure
- Excellent organizational skills
- Business development skills with negotiation and strong persuasive abilities
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.