Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Director, Strategic Academic Alliances in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
- Takeda scientific and business lead for several academic alliances, leading strategic transaction and relationships as well as participating as a voting member or observer on the leadership boards of alliances
- Contribute to the development of Takeda externalized discovery and development pipeline by identifying innovative projects within Takeda s academic network and aligned with Takeda s R&D strategy
- Works closely with Takeda Research to manage and execute on projects within the alliance as well as attract participation from investigators and to market the alliance within the partner community.
- Work closely with Takeda R&D, business development and Takeda Ventures to drive highly strategic programs into the R&D pipeline.
Partner with the Head of Strategic Academic Alliances to :
- Develop new alliances- extend/ renegotiate existing alliances
- Identify new SAA opportunities and develop strategies to install SAAs mechanisms for translational development work
- Identify novel academic alliance and discrete collaboration opportunities and structure to fulfill the SAA mission and research goals.
- Develop overall SAA strategy, in conjunction with Research, champion the strategies and implement aspects of the strategy according to senior management decisions
Partner with R&D Research leadership and alliance directors to:
- Maximize engagement between research/DDUs and the alliance investigators. Be the SAA lead for 1 therapeutic area
- Maximize alignment of projects with research goals and portfolio
- Develop value extraction for projects (e.g. licensing into Takeda, licensing to 3rd party in which Takeda is invested)
- Anticipate resourcing needs and ensure resourcing to meet alliance demands and contractual obligations
- Mine academic community to identify and develop opportunities which either enter the alliance or may be of interest to Takeda as a separate collaboration
- Develop and implement communication strategies to maximize familiarity of the alliance into the academic community
- Participate to SAA project selection among the different alliances in place and contribute to scientific marketing event and request for proposal activities
- Work with Takeda Venture and Takeda s business development teams.
- Support in-licensing of SAA derisked projects aligned with internal pipeline plans
Develop scientific and business strategy for next phase of program prosecution
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise(Breadth and depth of knowledge, application and complexity of technical knowledge)
- Deep breath of knowledge in science applied to area of research at Takeda (Immuno-oncology, Neuroscience, Gastroenterology, Rare Diseases)
- Experience in early drug discovery program, proven project leadership
- Ability to talk to principal investigators in academia
- Abiity to talk about drug discovery within Takeda drug discovery units
- Must be able to work in multinational industrial setting, to navigate pharmaceutical organizations at the research level, to advocate for projects in the context of therapeutics area strategy, to advocate for and obtain resourcing needed for projects.
- Must inspire teams to work across academic and Takeda organization, and encourage entrepreneurial and innovative thinking; push teams to experiment and try new strategies
Leadership(Vision, strategy and business alignment, people management, communication, influencing others, managing change)
- Strong team player, strong communication and influence to align stake holders for making decision on licensing and Newco creation
- The candidate should be able to lead and champion an idea or projects based on his own expertise/experience, shared with all stake holders (internally and externally)
Decision-making and Autonomy(The capacity and authority to make organizational decisions, autonomy in decision-making, complexity of decisions, impact of decisions, problem-solving)
- Although this position is for a team contributor due to the nature of the strategic academic alliance group, the candidate will lead an academic alliance, champion a project/idea for licensing or build company based on his experience independently.
Interaction(The span and nature of one s engagement with others when performing one s job, internal and external relationships)
- Represent Takeda external face
- Interact with SAA team
- Interact with the different team in CEI (TVI, BD), interact with Drug discovery unit reps for SAA (Sr Director level) and DDU heads.
- Interact with legal team
Innovation(The required level of scientific knowledge, knowledge sharing, innovation and risk taking)
- High level of scientific knowledge (PhD, MD), strong entrepreneur (experience or mindset) (MBA is preferred but not required)
Complexity(Products managed, mix of businesses, internal and/or external business environment, cultural considerations)
- As a member of SAA, the candidate will have to interact with all the part of the organization, as well as with the Tech Transfer from universities. Business and science communication ability is required.
- PhD in sciences, MD, PhD/MD; MBA preferred but not required
- Drug discovery experience minimum of 8 years in pharmaceutical industry in pre-clinical stage. Proven project leader experience
- Expert in one of Takeda therapeutic areas. Oncology, Neuroscience, Gastroenterology and Rare Diseases
- Demonstrated previous experience in company build (involvement in start-ups, role in VC firm as consultant, associates, principals involved in the development of the Newco scientific strategy)
- Previous experience in licensing activities
- Strong entrepreneurial skills (curiosity, innovative, risk tolerance, pro-active)
- Excellent understanding of basic science,
- Strong strategic mindset (ability to develop research plan with milestones, go-nogo decision and contingency plans)
- Basic knowledge in company build
- Excellent team player
- Strong communications skills written and verbal
- High level of energy
- Management of multiple tasks of varied complexity simultaneously
- Project leadership and management skills
- Ability to predict issues and problem solving abilities
- Ability to drive decision-making within a cross-functional and cross-cultural, global team structure
- Excellent organizational skills
- Business development skills with negotiation and strong persuasive abilities
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA