Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Staff Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry in our San Diego, California office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Staff Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry working on the Medicinal Chemistry Team, you will be empowered to develop novel and efficient synthesis strategies, coordinate research strategies and activities with team members.
- The Staff Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry is responsible for designing and synthesizing small-molecules for drug discovery projects in order to advance those programs into preclinical development.
- The Staff Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry develops novel and efficient synthesis strategies and coordinates research strategies and activities with team members.
- This individual will design synthetic targets for lead discovery and optimization to address issues of target potency, selectivity, pharmacokinetics, and in vivo efficacy
- This incumbent utilizes contemporary structure-based methods, structure-activity relationships, and medicinal chemistry principles in the proposal and execution of innovative chemistry strategies.
- The successful candidate conducts the synthesis of complex target molecules.
- S/he designs viable synthetic routes and performs literature searches in support of research.
- S/he creates relevant intellectual property for the company and contributes to patent authorship.
- Contributes to the authorship of scientific manuscripts, frequently as principal author.
- Maintains a current understanding of the synthetic literature and methodology, as well as the scientific literature related to the state-of-the-art in drug discovery.
- Keeps an accurate, comprehensible, concise notebook in accordance with company policy.
- Sets short and long-term goals within the context of broader project strategy. Influences the course of projects
- The Staff Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry with general guidance, learns standards and levels of expectations for routine work; designs experimental strategies.
- This individual learns company's discovery process.
- This incumbent proactively identifies routine obstacles to progress and formulates strategies to address problems.
- S/he may mentor Research Associates
- S/he supports projects, including engaging with both internal scientists and external partners
- The successful candidate represents own research to senior leadership, or for scientific collaborations, or a national scientific conference
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with 0-3 years of relevant chemistry research experience, OR MS in Chemistry with minimum 10 years of relevant chemistry research experience, OR BS in Chemistry with minimum 12 years of relevant chemistry research experience is required.
- Clear general knowledge of chemistry is required.
- Diverse practical experience in synthetic organic chemistry required.
- Clear understanding of experimental design required.
- Clear understanding of reaction mechanism required.
- Good understanding of basic biochemical and biological principles is highly preferred
- High level of professional expertise in modern laboratory and analytical methods
- Has demonstrated independent thought/creativity in science
- Ability to present work formally to internal scientific reviews
- Ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise manner
- Excellent communication and multitasking skills
- Expert knowledge of applicable lab equipment
- Possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition
- Proficiency with chemistry drawing software (e.g., Chemdraw) and MS office applications
- Manual dexterity required to operate standard laboratory and office equipment
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Prolonged standing and/or sitting
- May travel to various domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips
- Some international travel may be required
- Requires up to 2% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.