Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Head of Translational Sciences in our Cambridge office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As the Head of Translational Sciences working on the Oncology Drug Discovery Unit, you will be empowered to help craft and execute a renewable Oncology research strategy for Takeda and build a Translational Research group, and a typical day will include:
POSITION OBJECTIVES: The Head of Translational Sciences within the Oncology Drug Discovery Unit (ODDU) will be a highly accomplished scientist with a proven track record in leveraging clinical science for creating new medicines. This person will have practical experience in all phases of drug development, from discovery through early and late stage clinical development. This person will be part of the ODDU senior leadership team and will help craft and execute a renewed Oncology research strategy for Takeda which will emphasize both immune-oncology and translational research covering the drug development continuum.
This leader will be responsible for building a Translational Research group within the ODDU that will provide advisory support for both forward and reverse translational research in close partnership with discovery and development global project teams and partners. Included in this group will be an Expertise Hub that will provide strategic oversight of internal and external advisors with deep knowledge of the translational landscape informing Takeda s research pillars in Immuno-Oncology. This leader will also direct a Computational Biology group with the mission of creating and mining large scale data sets to understand the biology, immunology and underlying genetics of cancer, to support pharmacodynamic biomarker approaches, to identify and refine patient selection strategies, and to select combination therapies. Lastly, this leader will be responsible for a Translational Bioassays team that will apply traditional (e.g. tissue imaging) and cutting-edge molecular technologies to support execute forward and reverse translational research.
- Reports to the head of the Oncology Drug Discovery Unit (ODDU)
- Serves as an active contributor to the strategy of the ODDU by serving as a member of the ODDU leadership team, aligning operational and cross-functional objectives accordingly
- Helps to establish an updated drug discovery strategy and roadmap with a particular emphasis on leveraging translational sciences in pursuit of immune-related opportunities for cancer therapeutics
- Builds a world-class team to oversee Translational Research by helping research teams develop robust translational data packages to support early clinical proof-of-concept, as well as research needs of post-POC clinical programs and marketed projects.
- Works in close alignment with key partners in Takeda, including OTAU, TREC, DMPK, DSRE, and GPTs to further translational research objectives for Oncology programs.
- Establishes a network of external scientific advisors to engage frequently with the senior ODDU team and project teams in alignment with the core research strategic pillars
- Leads and expands the impact of the computational biology team within Oncology Research, leveraging computational expertise across Takeda and via external networks
- Establishes an innovative and external facing Translational Bioassays group
- Provides guidance to project teams for identifying targets, drug candidates and research strategies with a translational path enabling clear go-no/go decision points in early clinical development
- Works closely with the overall oncology R&D community within Takeda to align on overall the oncology strategies and goals and represent the ODDU in cross functional forums and evaluations of external opportunities
- Mentors and supports high-potential individuals within the organization
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD and/or MD in relevant field of biomedical research
- A senior researcher with 15+ years of relevant industry experience in all phases of drug development and with extensive experience in oncology and translational science
- A recognized expert in drug development and forward and reverse translational science
- Excellent understanding of clinical development and regulatory processes
- Proven ability to build and lead high-performing teams and to manage senior leaders
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, leadership abilities, and oral and written communication
- Exceptional organizational, analytical and strategic skills
- Up to 15% of time, including international
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.