Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Scientist II - Protein Engineering in our Cambridge office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Scientist II working on the Protein Engineering team, you will be empowered to apply antibody/ protein engineering tools and expertise to design and execute humanization and optimization strategies and provide in depth analysis and interpretation of data as a part of due diligence and in-house scientific experiments, and a typical day will include:
We are seeking an outstanding Protein Engineer for a Scientist II position within the Immunobiologics group at Takeda Boston Immuno-oncology team. The role is a lab-based research scientist with technical expertise in the field of protein engineering and display technologies that may include monoclonals, and alternative antibody formats such as single domain Abs, Fc fusion proteins and other non Ig scaffolds. The candidate should have strong expertise in molecular biology and protein chemistry for application in immunized and human synthetic library design, and construction for panning and screening of therapeutic modalities. Scientist will be responsible for evaluating novel and cutting-edge technology platforms for biologics discovery primarily for immune-oncology applications. The candidate will function in a highly matrixed and collaborative environment by interacting and with scientists within the Takeda Oncology teams and external partners to design and support timely execution of therapeutic programs and strategy. The candidate must have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively across functional units.
- Actively survey industry-standard and cutting-edge platforms and evaluates and designs collaborations (including immunization and panning strategies) with external partners (academic and industry)
- Applies antibody/ protein engineering tools and expertise to design and execute humanization and optimization strategies including Fc engineering, liability correction
- Has a strong understanding of phage or any other display technology for high content protein and prototype biologics library generation
- Optimize protein and antibody properties through affinity maturation, humanization and directed engineering
- Requires minimum supervision and works with Senior Protein Engineer on the team.
- Manages resource allocation across programs based on needs and prioritizations.
- Functions effectively as a part of both functional and cross-functional teams
- Provides in depth analysis and interpretation of data as a part of due diligence and in-house scientific experiments
- Partners with the Immunology, DMPK and pre-clinical translational teams to design blue prints and well defined flow schemes for novel biologics discovery based on target biology and mechanism of action for IO applications as and when required.
- May shadow a sponsor to develop project leadership skills
- Writes study reports and presents data effectively in all settings with participants of all levels within the organization
- Spends at least 80% time in laboratory, including hands-on mentoring of scientists
- Troubleshoot complex problems in creative and effective ways; whenever needed, actively participate with innovation and/ or optimization of established processes to ensure drug design goals are met.
- Maintain familiarity with current scientific literature and contribute to new target concept selection, scientific journal publication and attend/present abstracts at scientific meetings.
- Maintain excellent documentation of all work in the form of laboratory notebooks, technical reports, and presentations to a wider audience
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree in Protein Engineering/Structural Biology/Bioengineering with a minimum of 2+ years relevant experience, preferably in industry
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals demonstrating and achievements in the antibody/protein engineering filed.
- Significant experience in one or more display technologies and library design and construction required.
- Experience and knowledge in molecular biology techniques to design, construct and optimize expression vectors for targets (full-length, fragments, mutants, fusion proteins), antibodies, and other proteins is required.
- Familiarity and some experience with Immunology and or immune-oncology MOAs is preferred
- Familiarity with flow cytometry and/or sorting is preferred.
- Hands-on expertise with automated platforms preferred.
- Accurate record-keeping skills, and excellent written/verbal communications required.
- Strong team player with a can-do attitude with an ability to thrive in a dynamic biotech- like environment.
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects up to 25 lbs.
- Working in a lab environment: standing, walking, bending, etc.
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required
- Requires approximately 5%-10% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
Company match of charitable contributions
Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.