Independently designs, develops, and performs complex scientific biophysics research for small molecule or biologics drug discovery projects in order to advance those programs into preclinical development.
- Independently designs, develops, and validates new biophysical characterization technologies such as SPR (Biacore), NMR, Mass Spectroscopy, microcalorimetry (ITC), and Thermal Shift Analysis (TSA) as applied to current TCAL and/or global Takeda drug discovery targets; performs biophysical experiments to characterize small molecule and biologics interaction with drug targets
- Designs and executes fragment screens using SPR, NMR, MS and/or TSA to identify and/or validate hit compounds, conducts analysis of results and participates in the drawing of conclusions.
- Develops an understanding of the integration of target mechanism of action (MOA) studies into drug discovery programs, performs MOA studies on selective compounds to support our drug discovery projects
- Critically evaluates the data and results and effectively communicates those to management as well as to the less experienced members of the groupIdentifies unmet needs in the context of the department, such as missing biophysical technology expertise
- Critically evaluates scientific literature related to the project and broader therapeutic area, and is able to distinguish relevance for the progress in a given therapeutic area
- Plans, implements and manages internal biophysical characterization activities and interactions to deliver key experimental studies to support drug candidates in discovery research
- Contributes to evaluation of new target opportunities for future Takeda drug discovery projects
- Identifies and applies novel technology and expertise to enhance drug discovery research programs
- Performs in vitro biophysical SAR for one or more drug discovery projects
- Develops and contributes to company s intellectual property domain by way of patents and/or publications, often as principal author
- Contributes to the authorship of scientific manuscripts, frequently as principal author
- Influences the course of projects, scientific methods and/or company s technical direction
- Independently designs complex experimental strategies to discover probable drug targets or candidates that address project goals; provides technical advice to others; has appreciable latitude for unsupervised action or decision
- Efficiently executes discovery process; frequently provides input into research project deadlines within department
- Identifies opportunities to collaborate with partners (academic, biotech and CRO) to enhance in-house capabilities. Leads and manages external collaborations effectively.
- Proactively identifies complex obstacles to progress; recommends and implements solutions using a diverse set of resources; solves problems in creative and effective ways; challenges current processes and recommends novel approaches
- Mentors Research Associates and lower level Scientists
- Represents own research to senior leadership, or for scientific collaborations, or at national scientific conferences recognized in the therapeutic discipline
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, biophysics, or related discipline with at least 5 years biophysics experience in a research and/or development environment, or MS degree with at least 11 years of biophysics experience, or BS degree with at least 14 years of biophysics experience, and a demonstrated working knowledge of biophysics scientific principles, or equivalent
- Demonstrates fundamental understanding of drug discovery within one or more therapeutic areas
- Demonstrated experience with biophysical and label-free approaches to probe ligand binding events, including, SPR, NMR, MS, TSA, ITC, DLS, and fluorescence spectroscopy
- High level of professional expertise in modern laboratory and analytical methods
- Ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise manner
- Self-motivated team player with strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to work with drug discovery scientists.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Demonstrated interest in applying biophysical solutions in fragment based drug discovery.
- Professionally represents the organization in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in life science as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and/or products and clinical candidates
- While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is regularly required to use hands to handle small laboratory equipment, including multi-channel pipettors, for liquid transfers to and from 96- and 384-well plastic assay plates.
- The colleague must lift or move up to 10 pounds on a regular basis in the course of daily activities.
- Less than or equal to 3% travel, consisting of one relevant National scientific meeting and/or trip to Japan for project-related work per year.
we are driven to improve people's lives
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visithttp://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.