A leading biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Spain is seeking a UK Head of Medical Affairs (Oncology) to join their team in Reading, UK. The company is a leader in the development of innovate marine-derived anticancer drugs and boasts an impressive R&D portfolio of oncology drugs.
In line with the Business Unit medical strategy the UK Head of Medical Affairs Lead sets and provides the strategic direction and has overall responsibility for the MA activities, including Post marketing studies, Medical educational activities, pharmacovigilance, drug safety and medical compliance for all products within the country/countries. The Head of Medical Affairs ensures execution of the Medical Affairs strategy and builds and maintains trusted medical / scientific relationships with health care community stakeholders. The Medical Affairs Affiliate Lead manages and leads the medical team and is the medical member of the management team.
- Provide medical input into regional / global medical strategy leveraging local customer insights
- Lead development of the affiliate medical plan, partnering with the affiliate management team across functions to define, establish and execute a coherent local business plan that addresses patient needs
- Partner and collaborate with market access to show medical value of approved products relevant to local external stakeholders (payers, HCPs, agencies);
- Developing and executing phase IVs, registries, etc. (master real-life medicine) in accordance with the local regulations and the global data generation strategies
- Develop and manage budgets for medical activities and provide input into the affiliate budgeting and planning process
- Facilitate sharing of best practices and knowledge across countries
- Support regulatory strategies for registration of new products by providing local expertise
- Build high value-added continuous medical educational programs for external stakeholders
- Coordinate medical review of country-specific promotional materials to ensure scientific accuracy when needed and clearly express rationale for any objection and sign-off before release
- Identify top external experts and develop strong peer-to-peer scientific partnerships with them, leading external expert coordination strategies within local / regional / global medical team
- Provide medical perspective and knowledge to other teams within the BU
- Ensure sound medical judgments
- Ensure adequate medical training is developed and provided to the affiliate staff
- Encourage medical team to identify lifecycle extension opportunities for product based on patient needs
- Develop and maintain high quality medical team
- Leverage/capitalize on team/individual strengths
- Deliver training, skill development and assessment of MA team members
- Develop specific and actionable development plans for MA team members
- Create a climate in which self-motivated individuals will aspire to higher levels of performance by creating high standards, and by rewarding and recognizing exceptional performance
- Create an environment of trust, delegate responsibility to help individuals grow professionally
- Provide positive and developmental feedback appropriately
- Provide clear direction
- Clearly understand the hiring profile, knowing how to match a candidate's skills with the MA roles
- Help to coordinate resources to maximize productivity
- Manage performance issues appropriately
- Regularly measure and document performance
- Responsible for Compensation Planning/Salary Adjustments (Merit, Promotions, LTI and Pay Adjustments)
- Ensure exchange of medical information with other functions as appropriate for medical affairs and behave as a role model
- Ensure compliance with external laws and internal regulations regarding the appropriate conduct of Affiliate Medical Affairs activities
- Supervise and continuously enhances all Affiliate Medical Affairs business procedures
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Required - Master degree in Pharmacy or MD
- Desired - PhD, PharmD, DNP in medical specialty
- Strong UK medical affairs expertise as a medical manager, medical advisor or lead MSL
- Strong oncology expertise
- Knowledge and understanding of disease area, local health care system / market dynamics, regulations, policies and SOPs, health economic techniques and trends
- Broad experience in interaction with health authorities
- Demonstrated strategic approach to implementation of scientific communication programs on disease areas and treatments
- Demonstrated ability to build a team and develop a high performing organization
Please click on the Apply button. Please include a short note outlining why you are interested in the role and why you think you are suitable.
In case you have difficulty in applying or if you have any questions, please call Tom Russell on +44 203 8246 104 or upload your CV on our website - www.proclinical.com.
A full job description is available on request.
ProClinical is a specialist employment agency and recruitment business, providing job opportunities within major pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.