Follow MedZilla on Twitter

Pharmaceutical Sales Careers
Looking for a great job in 
Forum List | Go to Top | New Topic | Search View Oldest First
Teacher to Sales
Author:  Newbie
Date:  10-14-12 10:47am
Reply to this Post

Looking for advice from those who are in pharma Sales or recruit for pharma sales. I have always been interested in sales and at the same time I was applying to graduate schools for my teaching certificate, I was also applying to pharma. companies . Fast forward 7 years and I am considering leaving the field of education to pursue a career in sales. I have excelled as an educator and know that many of my teaching skills will transfer over to sales quite well. I have excellent interpersonal skills, am very organized and if I don't know something, I learn it. I know many people in the local medical community and have a good handle on medical terminology and researching various conditions. I am great at selling ideas and am always being asked, why I didn't go into sales. I would like to begin applying to pharmaceutical companies but am concerned that I will be overlooked because I do not have a sales background. Any tips on how to break into the field without that experience? I know that if I could get in for an interview, I would be able to prove myself as an excellent candidate. Any suggestions, advice would be appreciated!

MedZilla -- get the inside story

Author: former pharmaceutical rep May 03, 2016, 09:00AM

Re: Teacher to Sales   Log In to Report Post

Pharmaceutical companies will hire teachers based on their strong presentation skills and their ability to teach. Also, focus on having strong computer skills and the willingness to use technology in the workplace and to do work outside of normal business hours. These are traits that pharmaceutical companies are looking for based on additional research that I have done.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Feb 10, 2013, 07:24PM

I have 8 years of outside sales experience working for Pitney Bowes. I have 20 plus years in education, on the secondary and community college level in science. Is there a company that would be interested in my specific profile?

Author: Dwayne Madry Jan 14, 2013, 07:22AM

Re: Teacher to Sales (Log In to Contact) Log In to Report Post

Yes. I have I was a T.A. for Organic Chemistry, and Human Anatomy. I was very detailed in how I wanted students to under the concepts in that they needed to know them to pass any upcoming exams.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jan 13, 2013, 06:23PM

If you have a background teaching science that would be helpful to you if you can creatively leverage your ability to do a consultative selling approach with physicians. Drug reps do a lot of teaching, believe it or not. I have seen former teachers make excellent reps and I have seen former teachers absolutely hate this job and go back to the classroom. Clarify for yourself why you want to make the career change and if it's because of the money then prove to yourself and future employers that you can drive business selling something. It may be a two job jump if you REALLY want it. Make friends with a drug rep and be their tail for a day.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Oct 15, 2012, 07:24AM

the pharma industry, for sales reps, has been decimated in recent years with over 100,000 reps laid off. When there is an opening for a position, the hiring manager is overwhelmed with resumes from highly qualified, experienced reps. I tell you this not to discourage you, but to let you know what you're up against. It's not really the most stable industry to be in right now. I would gladly take a teaching job with guaranteed pay, excellent health insurance, a pension plan and summer's off as opposed to wondering when I'm going to "get the call"...best of luck to you.

Follow us on Twitter!

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Oct 15, 2012, 07:00AM

Funny. We are exact opposites. The first time I was laid off in pharma, I thought I should get my teaching cert. I believe you took inventory of your skills, and you can probably succeed in sales. But you need some sales experience -- sell vacuums during spring break if you have to. Also learnthe difference between device sales, diagnostic sales, and pharma sales. Once you go down one path, it is difficult to go another.

Reply to this Message

Subject:

Your message will be moderated before it is displayed.

Standard Allowed HTML: P, BR, B, I, EM, STRONG, TT, BLOCKQUOTE, UL, OL, LI, DL, DD, DT, CODE.
Restrictions: No parameters other than TYPE for BLOCKQUOTE and OL, and HREF for A.
Commercial messages and spamming will not be tolerated.

Moderator's Policy: Forums are moderated according to the moderator's whim. There is no "Policy". S/he can reject or accept your post without explanation, regardless of whether it's accurate or not.
Disclaimer: Statements published within these forums are the sole opinions of the original authors. MedZilla Inc. assumes no responsibility whatsoever for the truthfulness or accuracy of anything contained herein.
You are being watched. Your IP address has been logged. We generally know who you are. There's no anonymity, so be careful what you say.

Terms of Use and Privacy | Post Jobs | Find Resumes | Articles | Forums | Contact Us | Edit Resume | Home

© Copyright 1994-2017, MedZilla, Inc.
All Rights Reserved. Medzilla® is a Registered Trademark owned by Medzilla Inc.
All custom graphics, icons, logos and service names are registered trademarks, trademarks or service marks of MedZilla Inc.
All other trademarks, service marks, and graphics are the property of their respective owners and are used with permission. Updated daily.